- On Thursday 22nd February 2024, we are taking part in a themed Maths day. We have chosen this day as it will mark reaching 100 on our daily counts. We are asking for your support in enabling your child to come to school with one thing you can find at home that represents 100.
- In week 6 of Term 3 (w/c 5.2.24), the school nurse team came into school to do weight, height and sight checks. At school, we do not receive any information about their findings, but we understand that you will be contacted if they note any concerns about your child.
- Please alert your child’s class teacher if your child finishes one side of their bookmark so that they can receive their first certificate in assembly. You can find information on our reading incentive by clicking here.
- Please make sure your child has a coat in school every day. We will go outside even when it is cold and raining.
- Children need to bring their book bag into school every day. If they do not have it on a Monday, they will not be able to have a new reading book. Please make sure the reading books come into school each day with your child.
- Please do not allow your child to play with the resources that are on the Reception patio in the morning. These have been carefully positioned and are there to support your child’s learning during the school day.
We’ve had such a busy, fun filled week! It has been the last week of our topic about ‘where we live’. The children have drawn some amazing treasure maps and labelled them during their writing sessions. Alongside this, we’ve had 4 parent visitors (a PE teacher, animator, doctor and dentist) who have been to school to tell us about their jobs. The reception team want to say a huge thank you to all of the parents who volunteered to come into school to talk to the children about your jobs. The children have been inspired and they have high aspirations for their futures.
Tapestry – Observation request
The focus this week is Religion and Worldviews. As we continue exploring the question, “Why are some times special?” We would love to see pictures of anything you may have celebrated recently as a family – e.g. Pancake Day. Or a short clip of your child telling us about what they did on Pancake Day or another recent celebration they have been to.
You can also send us any moments that you feel are significant in your child’s learning or want to share with your child’s class teachers.
Click the links below to find out how to add observations from different devices.
This week’s learning
During Term 4, the children will be learning about places that are different from where we live. They will spent the first three weeks of term learning about cold places and the last 3 weeks learning about hot places.
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
We will be starting the new topic Healthy Me. Children will be discussing sports that they take part in and enjoy. We will talk about why exercise is good for our minds and bodies as well as thinking about what happens to our bodies when we exercise.
Communication and Language
Book of the week: The Emperor’s Egg by Martin Jenkins and Jane Chapman
We always encourage the children to engage in story times and non-fiction books in these ways:
Listen to and talk about stories to build familiarity and understanding.
Ask questions to find out more and to check they understand what is being said.
Articulate their ideas and thoughts in well-formed sentences.
Connect one idea or action to another using a range of connectives.
Describe some events in detail.
Word of the Week: Emperor
We will be starting Unit 2 of Real Gym and our first lesson is on correct jumping and landing technique.
This week in Phonics, we will be revisiting the graphemes/ phonemes: ure, er
And the common exception word: her
We will practise blending phonemes to read, and segmenting words to spell them using the phonemes and graphemes we have learned so far.
Writing: We will be using our phonics learning to write some facts we have learned about penguins.
This week, we are going to be learning about numbers 9 and 10. The children will be comparing numbers to 10, representing them in different ways and ordering them. Alongside this, we will be taking part in 100 day on Thursday.
Understanding the World
We will be looking at a globe, world map and atlas to find cold places on Earth. We will be discussing where penguins live and using the book The Emperor’s Egg to discover facts about penguins.
Religion and Worldviews
Continuing to explore our question: Why are some times special? We will be learning about Pancake Day, Mardi Gras and Carnivale celebrations.
Expressive Arts and Design
In music we will be continuing with our Handa’s Surprise song, using percussion instruments to tap out the beat.