Follow the link to see the highlights from our Curriculum Showcase Evening
Please could you start sending in boxes (cereal, toothpaste, delivery etc.) for our mini project where as a year group we shall create a model of Henleaze. We need a range of different sized boxes. We will be starting our models in Week 6.
- Thank you for the offers of help for our Theatre trip in the last week of term. We will let you know next week if your help is needed this time. Thank you.
- You will find below a grid showing the sessions to be taught each week. They do not exactly follow days as each class has different sessions due to support and PE times being different but it allows you to see the week as a snapshot of sessions.
- We would like you to support your child to hold their pencil correctly when they are using them at home. Children should be using a tripod grip. Click here to see a BBC Bitesize video about how to hold a pencil.
- We will always aim to get outside, whatever the weather, as much as possible so children will really need a waterproof coat each day.
Daily Wellbeing Activities
Monday – Connect – Guess how I’m feeling game – Teacher or a child makes a face and children try to guess how they are feeling
Tuesday – Take Notice- What makes you feel… Use the feelings wheel to talk about why we might feel different emotions
Wednesday – Be Active – 5 Min workout, thinking about last week’s children in Need
Thursday – Keep Learning – Sit by someone new at lunchtime
Friday – Give – Keep a tally of how many times we hear someone in class saying Please or Thank you
Phonics: New Phase Teaching – Phase 5
Information for Sounds and Words Books:
Focus GPCs: ew (few) oe au ey
Other words to read and spell: new toe key autumn I’m
CEW to read and spell: looked called asked by when
Vocabulary: adjective, verb, noun, phoneme, sounds, blend, letter name, word, sentence, full stop, question mark, Conjunction, email
Writing: Based around new text: ‘Send for a Superhero’
Session 1: Read the story up to ‘Send for Steel Man!’. Look at the following two words: power and powers Talk about plurals. Make a list of superheroes accessories that might be needed on a mission.
Session 2: Reread the part of the story where Brad 40 stands up in class and talks to the teacher. Ask children to be verb detectives and collect as many of the verbs you can find, e.g. plotting, destroy, covering, sucking. Children to use the information from the book to …Write an email to the mayor as if they were Brad 40.
Session 3: Children to create and label their own superheroes and write their own character descriptions in the first person,
Handwriting: Correct formation of the graphemes and CEW for spelling listed above through the use of our 4 formation families. Complete a dictated sentence:
- Read as part of a group. Look at front cover details and explore making predictions, using phonetic knowledge to decode unknown words and to extend vocabulary. Read aloud and look at increasing fluency and use discussion as a group to discuss comprehension.
In reading groups, continue to continue on phonic and CEW recognition gaps identified.
Whole Class – Planned story sessions each day.
Mental/ oral warm-ups:
Recall of addition facts within 10 (every day)
Bonds to 10/20
Tens and ones – for teen numbers (teacher flash fingers ten and a bit and chn say how many)
To recall number bonds to 10 and 20
To use the symbols – and = to record subtraction number sentences.
To understand that subtraction is not commutative
Being able to instantly recall number bonds to 10 and 20 is a really important skill to have and is a key part of the year 1 curriculum. There are a number of games that you can play at home such as:
- Ping pong number bonds (you say a number and your child responds with the missing bond to 10 or 20 (whichever you are doing). The game goes back and forth like a game of ping pong!
- Quickfire questions
- Home-made snap (the numbers have to make the number bond to be a ‘snap’ pair)
PE- SHINE Outside Session
Jasmine PE– Social LO: I can work sensibly with others taking turns and sharing
I can help, praise and encourage others in their learning
Skills – static balance seated, children will learn to perform a variety of seated balances and hold for an increasing length of time.
Science – Make symbols to show the weathers – use as a class in preparation of studies.
R+WV (Formally known as RE) – LO: To know and order the main events in the Christmas story. And To learn about how Christmas is celebrated by different Christians around the world
Music – LO To create symbols that represent musical sounds and notate them as a graphic score and to feel and internalise the pulse in the context of an action song
Introducing the concept of graphic score to record music. Continuing with our Hot Air Balloon theme we will create a class score then children will create their own in groups / pairs.
PSHE – Making new friends. Building on our work from last week about being a good friend and how we can support others and ourselves.
Art- Cartoons and The Superhero
LO: I can use drawing and painting to develop and share my ideas and imagination
Discover the cartoon as art and look at the work of Walt Disney and Matt Groening. Create Superhero cartoons.
Year 1 Bronze Reading Certificates
Bluebell Class- Cliona Abigail Thomas Suri Sienna
Cherry Class- Tom
Bluebell Class- Amelia
Cherry Class- Oliver