- Please only provide your child with fruit at fruit times. Please also remember that if your child has a packed lunch, we operate a NO NUTS policy.
- We are inviting you to a Reading and Phonics meeting on 27th September 2023, 2:50 – 3:10 pm in the main school hall. This will be followed by a Phonics learn-a-long, where you are invited into the classroom to take part in a lesson alongside your child on 18th October 2023 at 9:00 – 9:30am.
- In October, we will be starting PE! Please make sure your child has their PE on their peg by Monday 2nd October 2023.
- Open mornings will be on 23rd February 2024 and 5th July 2024. These usually start at 9:00 and finish around 10:00. Timings will be confirmed closer to the date.
- Children need to bring their book bag into school every day. If they do not have it on a Monday, they will not be able to have a new reading book.
- Please do not allow your child to play with the resources that are on the Reception patio in the morning. These have been carefully positioned and are there to support your child’s learning during the school day.
This week, the children have loved learning about the ELLI owl. They have found out that the owl makes plans to help them with their learning. We are really looking forward to having all of the children in full time from 25th September 2023!
This week’s learning
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
This week the children will be learning all about being at school. They will be engaging in tasks which supports their ability to share and we will be role playing scenarios around playing in a group and teamwork.
Communication and Language
Our key text for the next 2 weeks is The Mixed-up Chameleon by Eric Carle. This week, we will be listening to the story and retelling the main events.
We will begin our class ‘All About Me Box’ (see Religion and Worldviews) giving children the opportunity to talk about things which are special for them, listen to others, and ask questions.
Word of the week: adapt
In our Phonics sessions this week, we will learn the graphemes (letter shapes) which correspond with the phonemes (sounds) g, o, c and k. We will also learn the common exception word the (these are frequently-used words which do not follow the phonics we have learned so far.)
Each child will draw a picture of their family along with any letter shapes they may know eg from their name.
This week, the children will be comparing size, mass and capacity.
Understanding the World
Children will be learning about the Elli animal the chameleon which develops the learning skill of adapting and changing when our plans aren’t quite working. We will be reading the book The Mixed up Chameleon by Eric Carle, as well as using non-fiction books to learn facts about chameleons.
Religion and Worldviews
This week, we will be introducing the class ‘All About Me Box’. At some point over the coming weeks, it will be your child’s turn to take the box home and bring it back the next day with some items/ photos which are special for them, and which they would like to show to their class and talk about. (The box will come with instructions). This not only helps us get to know one another, whilst developing each child’s sense of being unique, but also practises speaking and listening skills.
Expressive Arts and Design
The children will be using pictures of chameleons to inspire a wax crayon drawing of a chameleon and washing over it with brusho to create a multimedia picture.