- Earlier this week, you should have received an email informing you of the part your child is playing in the Reception Nativity and information about costumes. If you did not receive the email, please speak to your child’s class teacher.
- Our Reception Christmas play will be on Wednesday 6th December 2023 at 9:30am.
- Please make sure your child has a coat in school every day. We will go outside even when it is cold and raining.
- Children need to bring their book bag into school every day. If they do not have it on a Monday, they will not be able to have a new reading book. Please make sure the reading books come into school each day with your child.
- Your child will have come home with a Read for the Stars bookmark. You can find information on our reading incentive by clicking here.
- Please do not allow your child to play with the resources that are on the Reception patio in the morning. These have been carefully positioned and are there to support your child’s learning during the school day.
The children are doing a brilliant job of learning their Nativity song and they have wowed us with their listening skills when rehearsing in the hall. They have also enjoyed painting cat pictures and learning about the ELLI Cat. We have noticed lots of children developing their questioning skills as a result of learning about the curious cat who asks lots of questions. Alongside all of this amazing learning, it has been friendship week. Each class has been thinking about what it means to be a good friend and the adults have been spotting lots of children being kind to others.
Tapestry – Observation request
The focus this week is Maths.
This week, we ask that you go on a shape hunt. This could be around your house, to the park or wherever you would like to go. Please take photographs of any shapes in the environment (e.g. square window, circle clock) that your child spots and send them to us on Tapestry. We will be showing these in class.
You can also send us any moments that you feel are significant in your child’s learning or want to share with your child’s class teachers.
Click the links below to find out how to add observations from different devices.
This week’s learning
For the next two weeks, we will be learning about the ELLI Bee. Busy Bees work together to reach a goal. They have all the skills they need to work as part of a team. We will be using ‘Bee and Me’ as our key text.
To find out more about our ELLI animals, please click here.
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
We will continue our theme of Celebrating Difference and thinking about how we are all different but the same in some ways. We will be focusing on families and how these all look different. We will read the story “The Hueys in the New Jumper.”
Communication and Language
We will continue to enjoy our book Tabby McTat and act out the story. We will continue to share the All About Me Box. We will be listening carefully and learning the words to the songs for our Nativity play.
Word of the Week: subitise (Being able to say how many in a group without counting, eg knowing the pattern of 6 spots on a dice)
The children will be learning actions for the Reception Performance and taking part in physical games.
This week in Phonics, we will be learning the graphemes/ phonemes: ai (as in rain), ee (as in sheep), igh (as in light), oa (as in coat) The children will learn the words ‘digraph’ (2 letters which make one sound together) and trigraph(3 letters which make one sound together)
And the common exception words: was, you
We will practise blending phonemes to read, and segmenting words to spell them using the phonemes and graphemes we have learned so far.
Writing: We will be using our phonics learning to write CVC (consonant-vowel-consonant) and CVCC word labels.
This week, the children will learn about squares and rectangles. They will identify shapes with 4 sides, combine shapes to make shapes with 4 sides and spot squares and rectangles in a familiar environment.
Understanding the World
We will be learning facts about bees and creating a save the bees poster!
Religion and Worldviews
We will hear different children’s versions of the Christian Nativity story, and learn about why Jesus being born is important for Christians.
Expressive Arts and Design
This week the children will be creating a swarm of bees picture using fingerprints.